Thursday, August 25, 2011

Drab to FAB!

FINALLY...something I have been wanting to do for quite sometime, is DONE!
Remember this desk?
Brown...kinda dull...trim breaking off...ugly gold pulls...


The transformation begins
I didn't want to move it downstairs, cuz it's SO VERY heavy. So...I thought I would just sand the top by hand...Didn't work so well as you can see.


Step 2. Bring in the palm sander...
Nope! Didn't have the right kinda of sandpaper...

 Step 3. Bring in the BIG GUNS!
THE BELT SANDER!
Guess what?!?!? It worked!
 

And here is my dining area that my family had to endure while I was working on this
MESSY... to say the least!
 

Drawers are painted!
(does anyone else just do the outside? I thought about doing it all and still may go back and do it, but just wanted to get this done!) 

Bottom of the desk
DONE! 

And here she is!
I am so happy with the end results!
LOVE LOVE LOVE it!




12 comments:

  1. AWESOME Suzan!! It's absolutely beautiful! Don't I need to do something like that with the little hutch in my bathroom - the one you said leave it alone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you need to go to your mother's house and help her out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I'm just starting a desk that looks just like yours. Did you sand the whole thing first and what kind of paint and stain did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't sand anything but the top since I was staining that part. The bottom was pretty void of varnish, so I just used glidden(not my favorite at all, but closest store was walmart and I was determined to get it done :-) 2in1 primer & paint on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and the stain was minwax with polyurethane in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stained top! It really preserves a bit of the original piece while updating the rest. Love it! Carrie

    http://dexanddesign.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooohhhh, she's so very VERY lovely!! WOW!!

    Deborah (happily visiting from
    http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping over from Frugal Friday! This desk turned out beautiful! I just did the same combination on my end tables. Thanks for sharing... I look forward to seeing more!

    Kelly@The East Barn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks amazing! This is my exact plan for a desk of ours - a natural stained top and white bottom! Now I am inspired!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone! I am so happy with how it turned out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. the desk turned out beautiful, love the stained top.
    lauren

    ReplyDelete